2) Only a TRUE SOUTHERNER knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc. make up “a mess.”
3) Only a TRUE SOUTHERNER can show or point out to you the general direction of “yonder.”
4) Only a TRUE SOUTHERNER knows exactly how long “directly” is - as in: “Going to town, be back directly.”
5) All TRUE SOUTHERNERS, even babies, know that “Gimme some sugar” is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl on the middle of the table.
6) All TRUE SOUTHERNERS know exactly when “by and by” is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
7) Only TRUE SOUTHERNERS grow up knowing the difference between “right near” and “a right far piece.” They also know that “just down the road” can be 1 mile or 20.